Custom Navbar

Monday, March 3, 2014

How Your Local Library Can Help You Fight Debt

When I was a little girl I loved going to the library. The one in the town I grew up in had a limit of three books that you could take out at one time, and was only open Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have fond memories of going to the library and being so excited to get my three books that I would begin reading them before I even got home—as I rode my bike. Thankfully I don't remember ever crashing :-) And I would hurry back the next day they were open to get three more.

As I got older, however, I didn't find myself in the library as much. Maybe it was because I had so much more reading to do for school, or maybe it was because the internet came around. I'm not really sure. Since moving to Bethlehem almost four years ago I've visited the library a couple dozen times, but until last week I hadn't been for several months. During that time the library moved into a new building, and when I finally went to check it out I was reminded of why I love libraries.

  1. You can borrow books for free. Usually if the library is located in your town there is no fee to use it as long as you return the books in a timely manner.

  2. They have more than books! Many libraries now have shelves filled with DVDs, and I was quite impressed with how our library's collection seems to be growing now that they have a bigger space. These are also FREE to borrow, so forget Redbox and Netflix!

  3. They carry lots of educational non-fiction books. So if you don't have the money to invest in a large library of do-it-yourself guides you can find a lot at your library. Right now I'm utilizing their gardening books to make my game plan for this coming growing season. They also have lots of books on crafting, cookbooks and so much more for me to discover.

  4. Magazines. Even though some magazine might be filled with trash, there are some fun decorating and exercise magazines that I like to look through. And if I can read them without having to pay an exorbitant amount of money for a subscription, I'll take it!

  5. Educational events. Many libraries have book clubs, and other programs that are designed to expand learning beyond just what you can read in a book. Recently our library had five telescopes donated, and the New Hampshire Astronomical Society put on a program pointing out star constellations and planets. They also have movies and craft times for kids, and often host local authors who do various presentations.

Libraries can be a great resource, so before you go out and buy a book or rent a movie, check out your local library and see what they have to offer!

Keep pinchin' :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment